2017 Mea Culpa Syrah
An exceptionally smooth and layered single vineyard syrah from an outstanding Yarra Valley vintage. Our winemaking guilty pleasure.
THE MEA CULPA STORY
Mea Culpa is an admission of guilt, an unapologetic acknowledgment that we should have known better. While we generally steer well clear of the navel gazing snobbery of the wine world, with Mea Culpa we give over to passion, take an exceptional parcel of fruit and indulge in winemaking debauchery to create a uniquely expressive wine. This is not a wine that claims perfection, but a wine that delivers an expression of site, vintage and winemaking character. If indulging in your passion is a crime, then we are guilty as charged.
The 2017 Vintage was a long, slow and drawn out affair. Spring was cool and wet filling dams and feeding vineyards. The Summer months were ideal, with only a couple of hot days and lots of cool nights leading to strong flavour development and good tannin ripeness. Syrah was arguably the stand out variety for the region in 2017, boasting great colour and bags of white pepper spice.
A seductive breath of blackberry and raspberry leads you on to a wicked sensation of white pepper spice.
Remember picking berries as a kid, juice running down your chin, hands stained red? Now put it in a glass and gorge yourself on the intense flavours that glide across the palate, supported by bright, spicy notes to a smooth and satisfying afterglow.
– Region Yarra Valley
– Sub-Region Coldstream
– Aspect North facing
– Clones PT23 & 1654 planted in 1999
– Pruning Method Spur pruned and shoot thinned
– Harvest Date 18 March 2017
– Harvest Analysis Be 13.5, TA 4.5, pH 3.69
– Alc/Vol 14.0%
– Cellaring 2 – 8 years
– Vegan Friendly
– 2 days cold soak (5°C)
– 20% whole bunch ferment in the five tonne open fermenters
– Hand plunged two or three times per day for seven days
– Selected strain of Syrah yeast
– Pressed gently to tank for malolactic fermentation
– 18 months maturation in French Oak
– 20% new barriques (Dargaud and Jaegle)
– 80% in two and three year old French oak
– Minimal fining and filtration
– Bottled in January 2019
|Zone (defined by postcode)||Fastway||AusPost|
|NSW, VIC Country||$16.00||$22.00|
|Adelaide, Brisbane, Ipswich, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast||$16.00||$16.00|
|NT, Country WA||$59.00||$36.00|
Delivery ETA: 3 to 10 business days pending postcodes