Beef Cheeks with Syrah Jus
Wed 15 Aug 2018
Prep3 ½ to 4 hours
These 3 hours slow cooked beef cheeks are braised in a beautiful red wine sauce.
They are so meltingly tender; you can eat it with a spoon.
The braising liquid is packed full of incredible flavours and goes well with a creamy potato mash and steamed greens.
- Innocent Bystander Syrah (+ 1 for your pleasure)
- 3tbs Olive oil
- 5 Beef cheeks, from your local butcher
- 2lt Beef Stock, your local butcher will have a great one
- 2 brown onions, roughly chopped
- 1 half leek, roughly chopped and only use the white
- 1 whole garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat the oven to 165°C.
- Place the wine in a pan and simmer over medium heat for 10 – 20 minutes or until reduced by half. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large casserole over medium-high heat. Dust beef in flour, shaking off excess. Brown beef, in batches, for 2 minutes each side, adding more oil if necessary. Remove and set aside.
- Add all the vegetables apart from the garlic into the pan, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes until coloration starts. Stir in garlic, then return beef to the pan. Add reduced wine, beef stock, fresh herbs bay leaves, then season.
- The meat should be completely covered with liquid (top up with water if necessary).
- Cover and cook in the oven for 2 ½ – 3 hours or until the beef is meltingly tender.